SOESD / School Improvement Services / Curriculum and Assessment / Literacy
Reading, Writing, Listening, Speaking and so much more!
Literacy is developing an understanding of and reflecting upon ideas shared in written, oral, and visual communication in order to increase knowledge, achieve goals, and participate in society.
Literacy is the skill set that unites all content areas and grade level instruction. Southern Oregon ESD's task is to support administrators, teachers and staff members to increase these skills to promote student success and achievement in all areas of public education. This is done by offering the following types of staff development opportunities:
- Teaching literacy strategies to teachers for use in their classrooms
- Coaching and modeling literacy strategies in the classroom
- Conducting “writing residencies” in which writing and writing strategies are modeled in schools and districts
- Teaching literacy strategies to “cadres” of teachers to take back and teach to their school staff
- Conducting literacy PLCs focused on support of literacy leaders in SOESD's service area
For more information, contact Rea Snyder at (541) 776-6771