SOESD / Special Education / Early Childhood Services / Our Core Values
Our Core Values
Core Values of SOESD Early Childhood Services
To work in partnership with families
And building the future
For children with special needs
In Partnership with Families
· We recognize and value parents, and the everyday routines of family life as the child’s most important teacher.
· Families are important team members in the assessment process, in developing the Individual Family Service Plan, and in providing opportunities for the child to learn new skills.
· Our toddler and preschool classrooms give opportunities for typically developing children, and those with special needs to learn and play together in an environment where all children are respected for their unique strengths and abilities to learn.
· Services are provided in settings where children live, learn and play. These may include the family’s home, child care center, Head Start or Early Head Start, or other locations in the community.
In Experience Based Learning
· We offer stimulating environments and activities where adults encourage play and exploration and embed instruction within the natural routines of the home or classroom.
· We teach skills important for daily life and for transition to school.
· We believe that social emotional competence is critical for success in school and life, so we directly teach children about friendship, feelings, and problem solving in our Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports program.
· ECS works with doctors, child care providers, Head Start and community agencies to help improve the lives of children by connecting families to resources and information.
· We participate in collaborative projects with other community programs to increase options available for families, maximize limited funding, and avoid duplication of effort.