Special Education Services at SOESD provide evaluative, consultative, and direct special education services to students with disabilities. Many Special Education Services are available in Jackson, Josephine, and Klamath counties, and some services are also available in Douglas and Lake counties. The OR Project assessment and curriculum and Records Manager software is available worldwide.
101 North Grape Street
Medford, OR 97501
Phone: 776.8590 or 800.636.7450
Youth Transition Program
The Youth Transition Program (YTP) is a comprehensive transition program for youth with disabilities operated collaboratively by Vocational Rehabilitation Services (VR), the Oregon Department of Education (ODE), the University of Oregon (U of O), and local school districts statewide in Oregon. The purpose of the program is to prepare youth with disabilities for employment or career related post-secondary education or training.
Participants: YTP serves youth with disabilities who need additional support, beyond the services typically offered though the general or special education program, to achieve their secondary and post-secondary employment and continuing education goals. YTP youth are representative of all youth with disabilities nationally with respect to gender and primary disability categories; however, the majority of youth in the program experience a number of additional individual, family, or school system barriers such as poor academic skills, limited social and independent living skills, negative job experiences, and low levels of family involvement or support. Over 50% of youth currently served through the YTP live in low income families.
Pre-Employment Transition Services: Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) – Creates the expectation that VR in collaboration with local educational agencies (LEA) shall provide or arrange for the provision of pre-employment transition services for all students with disabilities in need of such services who are eligible or potentially eligible for VR services. The 5 pre-employment transition services offered are:
- Job exploration counseling
- Work-based learning experiences, which may include in-school or after school opportunities, or experience outside the traditional school setting (including internships), that are provided in an integrated environment to the maximum extent possible
- Counseling on opportunities for enrollment in comprehensive transition or post-secondary educational programs at institutions of higher education
- Workplace readiness training to develop social skills and independent living
- Instruction in self-advocacy which may include peer mentoring.
For More information or to schedule an appointment to meet call or email:
Transition Specialist/YTP at 541-776-8551
Visit the YTP website for more information