What activities can be funded by SIA funds?
Expand Instructional Time
- More hours or days
- Summer programs
- Before/after-school programs
Address Student Health and Safety
- Social emotional learning, trauma informed practices
- Mental and behavioral health
- More school health professionals
- Facility improvements
Reduce Class Size and Caseloads
Provide a Well-Rounded Education
- Early literacy
- Middle school programs and supports
- Broadening curricular options (art, music, PE, STEM, CTE, engaging electives, college credit opportunities, dropout prevention, life skills classes, talented and gifted programs, and access to licensed librarians
What are the expectations for maintaining SIA documents on our district or school website?
The Student Investment Account is rooted in community engagement and transparency. In keeping with this spirit, districts and eligible charter schools are required to post important documents including their SIA plan, budget, and grant agreement to their websites. The SIA team shares the following as guidelines for all SIA documents posted to recipient websites:
- Original plans and budgets (board approved) should be maintained on the district website. Once the original plan and budget is updated through adjustment or amendment in the spring of 2021, it should also be posted alongside the original plan and budget until the full application cycle is completed again in spring 2023, and at that time, the new board approved plan and budget can replace the earlier versions on the district website.
- SIA grant agreements should also be maintained on the district website until the full application cycle is completed again in spring 2023. If the grant agreement is amended, ODE encourages recipients to post it alongside the original grant agreement on the district website.
Some districts have a Student Success Act/Student Investment Account webpage that is dedicated to posting information about community engagement activities and events, the legislation and the documents referenced above. Other districts have a “Documents” link where these items can be found. While districts and eligible charter schools have discretion as to where they post these documents, they should be easily searchable and accessible (one to two clicks away from the main webpage).
Q: Our district’s indirect rate is less than 5% for other funding streams. Can we still claim up to 5% of SIA funds for administrative costs, which include indirect costs?
A: Yes, according to Oregon Administrative Rules for SIA funds, districts can charge up to 5% or $500,000, whichever is less, for administrative costs which include indirect costs regardless if their approved rate is lower for other funding streams.
Q: Is there a limit on how much of our SIA allocation we can report as expended in the second progress report?
A: The second progress report period limit on expenses that can be reported is 70% of grantee’s reduced allocation for 2020-21 school year. The 70% expense limit includes 40% from the first reporting period (July 1 – December 31, 2020) and the additional 30% for the second reporting period (January 1 – March 31, 2021). When ODE reviews the second report, they will add grantee’s “First Report $ spent” and the “Second Report $ spent” columns, which combined should not surpass 70%.
Q: Our district is currently working on our SIA plan update to be submitted during the May 1 – June 30, 2021 window. Can you clarify whether board approval is required for SIA plan updates for the 2021-23 biennium?
A: For the 2021-23 biennium, grantees who received SIA funds will only need to submit a plan update to the original three-year plan. In our Supporting Quality Implementation guidance released in December 2020, we included a preview of what will be required to be submitted for plan updates in Appendix B. As part of the SIA plan update, grantees will be required to provide narrative responses to describe how community engagement has informed either their adjusted or amended plan as ongoing and meaningful community engagement is foundational to the SIA. Since grantees will be updating the original three-year plan that was previously approved by the governing board as opposed to creating a new four-year plan as originally anticipated pre-COVID, the SIA plan update is not required to formally go before the board for approval.